As usual, we dressed up for Halloween today at the library. I decided to be Little Miss Muffet, because I like to do storybook characters and I found a neat spiderweb fabric at Joann when I was figuring out what to be. I also decided that LMM lived in Jane Austen’s time, and that she saw the error of her ways and recognized the merits of the spider.
I created a representation of a tuffet and put a bowl and spoon for curds and whey on it.
Karl helped me by sewing the spider onto my shoulder before I left for work this morning. Other than the spider (and the bowl and spoon), I made everything in the costume. I thought it might be difficult but creating the bonnet was easier than I expected. I looked at some images of regency era bonnets and then made it up as I went along. I used cardboard to make the back, which I then covered in fabric, and I created the brim from a place mat. A little sewing with a carpet needle and some hot glue gun action later, I had a bonnet!
I do have to say that this costume was much more comfortable than some others I’ve worn, which was nice for wearing all work day. Most people seemed to get it right off the bat, too, so I only had to explain it to a few. All in all, a successful halloween!