I am, as you may remember, on a quest to find some trees/shrubs/etc. that we can plant at the back of the yard to block out the ugly view of the apartments behind us. I’ve been doing some research to see what options might work for us.
The qualities the plants need to have include:
- grow to around 12′ tall
- be ready to grow into a lush wall of green (losing the shape of individual plants)
- be fast growing so I can buy small (and relatively cheap)
- not be super bushy (I don’t want it to take up a lot of horizontal real estate)
- not require regular trimming/shaping
- not have surface roots or roots that will cause problems for the fence or yard
- not drastically alter the pH of the soil in the area (I know that pine needles do this, not sure what else does)
Ideally it will also:
- be friendly/attractive to wildlife
- be native to this region
- have winter interest/still be able to hide the apartments in winter
So far I’ve come up with a few options, though I’m sure there are many out there. If you can think of something that I haven’t listed here, please let me know! And now for some evidence of my ridiculous photo-editing skills.
Thuja occidentalis ‘Emerald Green’ AKA Arborvitae
Pros: all-coverage, the intarwebs claims it’ll form a wall o’ green if you let it
Cons: not very flashy, not sure if that wall o’ green thing is true or not
So far from these, I think the Boxwood is my favorite. This selection is just based on some Googling, though, so again, if you’re in the know, please share your suggestions!