Some friends are having a baby soon, and I got inspired when I heard that they were expecting. I haven’t made a quilt before, but I thought – why not? I have solid sewing skills and it was a fun challenge to learn techniques specifically associated with quilting. In typical me fashion, I made up a pattern and jumped right in.
I picked out some fabrics that I thought would go well together and would suit the jungle theme their nursery already has, and started cutting out squares.
Then I started sewing them together into squares and then pairs and then rows.
(Note: since taking the photo above I have learned that in quilting, you press the seams to one side rather than to both sides like in garment sewing.)
Until finally I had the entire quilt top put together:
I was quite pleased with how well it turned out. Not every seam is exactly perfect, but generally speaking things lined up well.
Then I put together the quilt sandwich, with the backing fabric and batting. I chose to use the dark brown/white polka dot fabric for the backing so that it would not be prone to showing wear/spills/etc. It’s important to me that it actually be usable.
I hand basted it using thread in a contrasting color so it would stay neat and not get any puckers or folds:
I chose to do a very basic stitch-in-the-ditch machine quilting. It worked well and thanks to my careful basting, I didn’t have any folds or other faults:
Then I removed the basting threads and attached the binding by machine-sewing right-side-to-right-side on the front of the quilt. I finished the binding on the back by hand-stitching an invisible stitch.
And here we have the finished product!
I’m just so pleased with it. I’ve presented it to our friends and they like it, too, so to me, that’s success!