dining room day one

We are finally getting to more of the long-procrastinated house projects, this time the dining room. Our plan for this stage is to rip up the carpet and lay down self-adhesive vinyl tile on top of the old sheet flooring that’s under the carpet.

dining room day one

Karl vacuumed while I helpfully took photos.

dining room day one

So you can see the ‘before’ pretty well here. Lots of blue everywhere! Except the spots where the carpet would just not come clean anymore, and was sort of a dingy browny-blue. You can completely tell where the dining room table was, because it’s the cleanest spot in the room.

dining room day one

We did our usual method of ripping up the carpet from one end, cutting it into three-foot sections and rolling it up as we go. This way our trash pickup will take it and it’s easy to handle. We repeated the process for the padding. You can kind of see in the photo above how G-R-O-S-S this carpet is. There were huge icky water stains from where we had cleaned the various puppy accidents and whathaveyou. I am so glad to see this carpet go!

dining room day one

Always wear your mask when doing things that create particulates! My allergies are such that I end up all miserable unless I wear a mask, so it’s worth the sweaty warm-ness.

dining room day one

Here you can see the sheet flooring that lived underneath the carpet. We don’t know how old it is or what it was made of, so I called our local Township offices and they recommended leaving it and just covering it with the self-adhesive tile. This flooring is worn enough that it doesn’t need sanding for the adhesive to do its job anyway, so hooray for getting to skip a messy, annoying step!

dining room day one

Now here we have one of my least favorite things in the house. This railing is from what I think of as the Wagon Wheel Coffee Table school of decorating (that is to say: someone else’s taste, vaguely country-inspired, and from a long time ago). We weren’t sure how exactly it was installed, so to be on the safe side, I suggested we just get the reciprocating saw and take it out the easy way.

dining room day one

We suspected (correctly, as it turned out) that there were nails put in at angles that might make it difficult to remove the vertical pieces that are apparently glued to the drywall on either side, so we opted to leave them there for now.

dining room day one

And there it goes! Shuffle off to Buffalo (actually, Freecycle), superfluous railing! The step down between these two rooms is just one regular step, so there’s no need for a railing there for safety.

dining room day one

This opens up the room SO MUCH! We have had our IKEA couch backed up to that area to help camouflage the railing, but we may rearrange now.

dining room day one

So here is the evidence of those nails. Yuck! Some finish work and sanding will clean this up soon.

dining room day one

We are, for the time being, going to leave these vertical pieces, though. They do seem to be glued to the drywall and we are just not up for redoing the drywall here right now. We’ll paint it all the same color so hopefully they will disappear visually. A decent temporary fix!

dining room day one

After that I set my sights on this post that does absolutely nothing structural. It’s so close to the cabinet part of the L that it couldn’t do much to support the countertop, and anyway it was in there pretty loosely so it was just sort of floating between the countertop and the floor.

dining room day one

One little swipe of the saw and it’s gone! Seriously, this makes a huge difference!

dining room day one

Just look at that! So much better.

dining room day one

After we patched some dips in the old flooring and let the patches dry, we measured to find the center of the room and did a dry run with the new tiles. You have to ignore the bits of backing paper that are showing between the tiles at this point, but so far so good!

dining room day one

I think this tile is going to look really nice. Which is good, because we plan to use it in the kitchen and the bathroom as well.

dining room day one

Karl looked upon the dry run and Karl liked what he saw. At this point we felt that it was time to let the poor puppy have free run of the house again, so we picked up the tiles and will actually install them another day. The walls will also be painted off-white, and we’ll be making some custom DIY vent covers for those holes you can see below the pillar. I also need to steam the wallpaper inside the pantry – thank goodness we saved the wallpaper steamer I bought at the old house!

Stay tuned for the next installment!

FacebookPinterestTumblrShare

4 comments to dining room day one

Leave a Reply

  

  

  

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge