I’m finally finished with the background of this project! Technically I do still have some earth to do on the right side, but the sea and sky are complete, which feels like a milestone.
I had completed the piecing of the moon awhile ago, and now I was finally able to put it together with the background.
On my last project, I used fusible interfacing to attach most of the pieces to the background before stitching them on. This time I decided to try it without interfacing to see how it works. I’m pleased that it worked just fine.
I pinned it and then stitched around, removing the pins as I went, and I didn’t have any problems with the moon piece shifting.
I wanted it to come out with a sketch-ish look, so I stitched around a few times, purposely overlapping and varying where the line of stitching fell.
Next I started cutting out pieces for the main figure at the center of the landscape.
I started out with my computer sketch, which I made from a photograph I took of one of my dolls. Of course, though, the doll doesn’t have the physique I’d like to portray, so I used it as a basis for making a pencil outline that I then used as a pattern piece to cut out the figure. I also cut separate pieces for the figure’s arms so that they will show as a distinct layer above the body. Much of the body will end up covered anyway, but I still like to have the physical shape represented there.