I have obviously been practicing my embroidery skills here – blanket stitch, you are now my bitch! I free-handed the pieces for this hat and I was really pleased with how well it turned out. I might make the ears bigger the next time, but overall I’m satisfied with it.
I had the idea months ago to do a bee-stripe sweater, and then as Halloween crept closer and I finally got around to making it, I thought, why not do a skirt and headgear to go with it? I’m so happy with this look. I think it’s so cute!
So! I’ve landed on Goldilocks for my Halloween costume. It’s a character I haven’t done before and I got some great inspiration from illustrations I found in our J398.2s and online. Speaking of inspiration, I’ve been tracking mine using Pinterest. Have you used this site yet? It’s ridiculously addicting once you get going.
So I set up a board there to keep track of my costume inspirations and materials and so forth.
Somewhere along the way as I was looking at various illustrations of Goldilocks, I realized that I really wanted to go with a yellow and grey color scheme. Despite the fact that none of the illustrations feature this color scheme, I think it’ll really work and I’m quite pleased with my choice. Of course pinterest had a TON of yellow/grey inspiration to offer.
After playing with that for a few days I headed to Joann to pick out patterns and fabrics. As usual for me, I didn’t find any patterns specifically designed for costumes that suited me, so I picked some other ones that I think will work well. I chose a dress (main view):
and an apron (view B):
and these fabrics:
And I even found a satisfactory wig! The actual wig is a bit more strawberry blonde than the photo would lead you to believe.
My plan is to knit three bear finger puppets, too. I hope it all comes together!
Halloween is practically around the corner and I still haven’t decided what to be. We’re doing a fairytale theme in my department, so I’ll stick within that, but I don’t know which character to choose. I’ve been fairytale characters in the past, so I will likely not repeat any of these (though I might if I had a great inspiration for a new take): Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Little Miss Muffet (nursery rhyme – close enough to a fairytale) and the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland (also not technically a fairytale). (I may or may not have done Little Red Riding Hood at the library – I can’t seem to find a photo of it, so perhaps I did it for some other venue?) I’m also a bit picky in that I want to have something comfortable enough that I won’t be irritable by the end of the workday – this means lots of make-up is out (so no green witch face) and nothing with a corset. i also want something that will be easily recognizable but not necessarily a Disney interpretation, I’m very open to playing with ideas, like when I did Miss Muffet in Regency style.
So, ideas, anyone? I’ve got a pinterest board going and would love to hear your suggestions!
I was struggling with what to be for Halloween this year, and it was suggested to me that I dress as Coraline. How perfect is that?! So I started putting together a costume. For reference, here’s what she looks like:
So my list includes:
red and grey striped tights
dragonfly hair pin
red messenger bag
I’ve had quite a lot of good luck so far:
I ordered the messenger bag (yay, Etsy!) and yellow slicker (yay, cheap!) online, and I already had the wellies (not the right color, but I’m not going to buy an extra pair of wellies just for this when I just got a new pair – unless someone has seen some yellow wellies for an unbeatable price?). The dragonfly isn’t actually a hair clip, but I can make it into one.
Now I need to find some tights and pick up some blue hairspray. I have a reddish brown corduroy skirt in my closet that will work unless I find something better. It’s all coming together!
Bonus follow-up to yesterday’s pirate dress post: Logan making a pirate face:
As usual, we dressed up for Halloween today at the library. I decided to be Little Miss Muffet, because I like to do storybook characters and I found a neat spiderweb fabric at Joann when I was figuring out what to be. I also decided that LMM lived in Jane Austen’s time, and that she saw the error of her ways and recognized the merits of the spider.
I created a representation of a tuffet and put a bowl and spoon for curds and whey on it.
Karl helped me by sewing the spider onto my shoulder before I left for work this morning. Other than the spider (and the bowl and spoon), I made everything in the costume. I thought it might be difficult but creating the bonnet was easier than I expected. I looked at some images of regency era bonnets and then made it up as I went along. I used cardboard to make the back, which I then covered in fabric, and I created the brim from a place mat. A little sewing with a carpet needle and some hot glue gun action later, I had a bonnet!
I do have to say that this costume was much more comfortable than some others I’ve worn, which was nice for wearing all work day. Most people seemed to get it right off the bat, too, so I only had to explain it to a few. All in all, a successful halloween!