I’ve been slacking on posts because we’ve been on vacation all week, but here, finally, is an update on Maker Faire Detroit.
It was awesome! Lisa and I went over on Friday to scope it out and set up the basics for our table (essentially the tablecloths). I was quite pleased with how well my plan came together. The purple and black color scheme I set up was striking and you could easily read the bunting from a distance. Goals achieved!
We were in a great location – we couldn’t have found better! We were adjacent to several other crafty-type tables, and to the Needle Arts Zone, where volunteers taught faire-goers to knit and crochet. We were also right next to my favorite THF exhibit, the Dymaxion House!
Saturday morning we got up early and got our wares set up right on time. In addition to our goods, about eight other members of Team Librarian sent us items so we had a great selection.
Here’s Jen of MimiBoo, me, Steve from DPL (teens from DPL made earrings that we sold at the table – how cool!), and Lisa.
I was really happy with how my displays turned out. I got a couple of metal flower pots from IKEA, along with some drapery clip hooks, and that worked quite well for my gnome and puppet kits. I also got a spool rack which did well at displaying my gnomes and finger puppets. Just about everything about the weekend came together ridiculously smoothly – it was just awesome.
Our booth did quite well in sales, too! Lisa and I are currently hatching plans for future shows at which Team Librarian could represent.
More photos at Flickr.
While prepping for Maker Faire Detroit, Lisa found this awesome site that will make your artwork into rubber stamps. How cool! The ever-most-awesome Shawn Amberger, who created our excellent AnneArchy logo, made us a version that would translate to two colors (well, ink and lack of ink) and voila! We have stamps!
Aren’t these totally sweet? I got one 3×3″ one 1×1″, figuring that this will give me the flexibility to do larger things but also stamp small packages that I ship out. (Note: Susan also got one of each, so all of our AnneArchy goodies will have the opportunity to be stamped.)
I tried out the big stamp on some paper bags that I purchased for Maker Faire and I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I can definitely learn a bit about properly inking the stamps and pressing evenly, but even without much practice I’m quite happy with the results.
Maker Faire Detroit is only a few short days away! Lisa and I have been prepping in a number of ways, one of which is planning our booth. I decided that we needed a Team Librarian bunting. I hadn’t made one before but I didn’t think I needed a pattern – it seemed straightforward enough that I could play it by ear.
I printed out patterns for the letters in a really basic sans font. A lot of the buntings I saw on flickr used fonts that I thought were too frilly so I went with something very bold and legible. I also wanted the letters to show up clearly, because a lot of the buntings I saw used fabrics that were pretty but didn’t contrast enough to be read from a distance. I used a light purple cotton for the letters and black for the background. I also ironed on fusible web before I cut out the letters.
I also made a pattern for the background – and even remembered to include seam allowance! Yay forethought.
Then I ironed on the letters after carefully measuring the placement of each one.
I was pleased with how it looked at this point, so much so that I considered not stitching around the letters, but decided to go with my original plan. I think the stitching adds an extra element that gives a finished look.
Stitching around. The purple thread is more accurate in this photo (in some of the others it looks too blue).
Pleased! I haven’t done much of this kind of stitching and it’s not perfectionist-level perfect, but I am very happy with the finished product.
I thought that lining the triangles would give the bunting more heft and also make it look more professional. I cut out triangles from the same light purple fabric (of which I had conveniently bought too much).
The pieces looked good! Using two layers of fabric like this is one of my favorite ways to finish a piece so that all the seams are hidden.
Then I pieced it together with the bias tape I’d purchased to act as string.
The placement worked out well, so I stitched it all together and voila! A bunting!
The garden is looking not super awesome (I really need to deadhead those daylilies, which will be moving since they weren’t intended to be there in the first place but migrated), but the bunting looks great! I really think it’s going to add an element of awesome to our table.