After last week’s playing around, I decided on placement for the moths and started sewing them on.
I decided to do this by hand, so that I could get a less uniform look to the stitching. (Also, lifting the presser foot a billionty times for each of these did not sound like fun.) I am super pleased with the result!
I don’t do much hand sewing very often, but I find it really in-the-zone-putting when I do make time for it. Note to self: do more hand-stitching! I watched a ton of Jane AKA maidensuit‘s videos about Blythe stuff while I did this stitching and the time flew by. I also got inspired to make the skirts that I posted about on Monday!
I used a variety of freehand stitch patterns to sew these moths on, and I pretty much stuck to just sewing on their bodies (thoraxes? thoraces? thesauri?) and then adding the antennae. I may decide to do some more stitching on the wings, especially of some of the larger ones that want to flop around more – I’m still considering what I want to do with that.
I wasn’t feeling well this weekend (foodborne illness?) but I did manage to get some sewing done. Given that I wasn’t at 100%, I decided to just play around a little and see what I came up with.
I’ve been inspired by Jane AKA maidensuit‘s videos about Blythe styling, and if she has one major key tip, it’s this: layers! I don’t have that many separates that aren’t knitted, so I thought that making some petticoat/crinoline style skirts would be a good place to start. For this first one, I used a remnant of netting that I found at Joann. It has sparkles in it, which is lovely, but there are of course now bits of glitter on EVERY surface in CraftyTown. Dmitri Martin wasn’t wrong, yo. For this skirt I used a new-to-me style of elastic Joann calls ruched. I like how it works for a skirt made of a non-fraying fabric like netting (because, the way I made it at least, you do end up with a raw edge behind the waist band).
For the next one, I used this lovely dotted lace in an antique/cream color. This time I used a fold-over elastic that was also new to me – it’s the type of stuff that a lot of places are selling lengths of as hairbands these days (or looks like to me, anyway). I’m very pleased with how that worked! You can steam the elastic gently to encourage the fold, and it works nicely to hide the raw edge at the waist.
This one was an experiment with some of the non-cotton (what I usually buy) they carry at Joann. I am always a little skeptical of the bargain section. A lot of the fabrics there aren’t okay with being ironed and they tend to be in some degree of rough shape. This one looked okay, though, at least okay enough for the quantity I needed to make a skirt. I embellished the diamond pattern with a little embroidery, which I think turned out quite well. For this skirt I used my stand-by knee-length lined a-line wrap skirt pattern (that I made up ages ago).
Finally, this one is another using a Joann bargain fabric. I would normally steer clear of a laser-cut fabric and probably also of an ultrasuede(ish) material, but I think it works well here. This skirt uses that same fold over elastic that the dotted lace one does, but it’s not gathered at all, so the waist band is quite smooth in comparison. (I’m not using the elastic as elastic here – the skirt fastens with a snap.) I used an antique-y looking quilting cotton for the underskirt/lining, and I think it works really well.
Overall I’m quite pleased with the results of my playing around! I’m not putting any of these up for sale right now as I’m trying to build my own Blythe wardrobe a bit, but if anyone is interested in a custom order, please let me know!