Maker Faire Detroit is only a few short days away! Lisa and I have been prepping in a number of ways, one of which is planning our booth. I decided that we needed a Team Librarian bunting. I hadn’t made one before but I didn’t think I needed a pattern – it seemed straightforward enough that I could play it by ear.
I printed out patterns for the letters in a really basic sans font. A lot of the buntings I saw on flickr used fonts that I thought were too frilly so I went with something very bold and legible. I also wanted the letters to show up clearly, because a lot of the buntings I saw used fabrics that were pretty but didn’t contrast enough to be read from a distance. I used a light purple cotton for the letters and black for the background. I also ironed on fusible web before I cut out the letters.
I also made a pattern for the background – and even remembered to include seam allowance! Yay forethought.
Then I ironed on the letters after carefully measuring the placement of each one.
I was pleased with how it looked at this point, so much so that I considered not stitching around the letters, but decided to go with my original plan. I think the stitching adds an extra element that gives a finished look.
Stitching around. The purple thread is more accurate in this photo (in some of the others it looks too blue).
Pleased! I haven’t done much of this kind of stitching and it’s not perfectionist-level perfect, but I am very happy with the finished product.
I thought that lining the triangles would give the bunting more heft and also make it look more professional. I cut out triangles from the same light purple fabric (of which I had conveniently bought too much).
The pieces looked good! Using two layers of fabric like this is one of my favorite ways to finish a piece so that all the seams are hidden.
Then I pieced it together with the bias tape I’d purchased to act as string.
The placement worked out well, so I stitched it all together and voila! A bunting!
The garden is looking not super awesome (I really need to deadhead those daylilies, which will be moving since they weren’t intended to be there in the first place but migrated), but the bunting looks great! I really think it’s going to add an element of awesome to our table.